You cannot protect your company and users from hackers if you fail to protect the IoT devices in a network. So, whether it is a surveillance camera or a desktop, everything can be hacked to gain remote access to the sensitive details about your company, biggest blows being;
- Compromised user details
- Monetary losses to malware like ransomware
The reach of attackers is such that it’s foolishness to rely on a single security strategy or two to protect your devices. In fact, according to a popular piece about cybersecurity in the wall street journal, the threat of cyber attacks by malware, viruses, and phishing will increase phenomenally by the year 2020. Thus, taking cybersecurity lightly is no more an option. You must implement all the security strategies listed below to safeguard your company and users as much as possible.
- Basic Filters Of Cybersecurity
The 3 basic filters of cybersecurity are:
- Backdoor password
Make the password long and strong (more than 12 characters preferably) and keep it to yourself. Also, create different passwords for different devices and email accounts.
- Bug Removal
All apps including the security and filter apps like firewall and antivirus are software and all software codes have vulnerabilities. As a developer, work towards fixing those flaws. Hire ethical hackers to test your product before releasing it for the public. As a user (individual user or a company);
- Run bounty programs to invite ethical hackers to scan software codes and report bugs
- Use system testing tools and network testing tools that can sweep bugs
- Educate Employees
Make your employees familiar with the concept of phishing and malware hacking, and how they can prevent such mishappenings.
- They shouldn’t click on a suspicious website
- They shouldn’t install extra tools (not approved by the company) in the system provided by the company for work
- They should leave unsolicited emails unattended
Engage them in sessions to learn a few tricks about reducing malware spread.
- Emails can be user targeted and appear to be from a genuine individual. The best practice is to never supply any information on email or phone
- Using URL scanners is another way that can help in identifying polymorphic phishing emails to an extent
- Invest In Damage-Control Techniques
Cybersecurity team has 2 purposes – one is to adopt strategies that can reduce the threat of hacking, and the second is the response time required to take action when the company is under a real threat.
When the response speed is high;
- Employees are informed about the breach quickly
- Information on disengaging from the internet is circulated in no time
- The source of malware entry is detected early
- The information in the affected network is backed up before hackers can encrypt it and demand a ransom in exchange for decrypting it