Providing one-on-one instruction to another individual is what mentoring platform is all about. It’s customary to promote best practices and information transfer at work. It is also a successful method for creating new leaders. Use these nine suggestions to make the process go smoothly for both of you! Both you and the mentee gain from serving as a mentor.
What is a mentor?
A trusted, knowledgeable advisor who supports and mentors someone through their personal and professional journey is known as a mentor. They accomplish this by getting to know their mentee, offering resources catered to their particular requirements, and coming up with creative solutions to problems.
1. Establish ground rules and expectations.
Make the mentee feel at ease when you first meet them by outlining your responsibilities. Assist them with any inquiries they may have regarding the mentoring process done by the mentoring platform. Please indicate what you want from them. Describe your willingness to mentor, instruct, and open the right doors for them.
2. Conduct a rough needs analysis
Inquire about the mentee’s goals for the meeting. Which facets of their work or career are they most interested in learning about? What are the things they want to get better at?
3. Set joint objectives
As the mentor, find out from the mentee’s management what they want you to concentrate on. Decide how much time and detail you’ll spend on the initial problems. Combine those crucial components with the mentee’s wishes. Then, decide together with the mentee what should be your top priority.
4. Schedule a contact
How frequently will you two have face-to-face meetings? Will you also be available for phone, email, or text consultations at any time during the day and evening or during specific periods on particular days? Be specific about the time limits you have. Provide enough availability to your mentee, so they are not left in a bind, but not too much that they start to bother them.
5. First, carefully listen, then inquire and offer advice.
You can acquire all types of knowledge. A mentee is not a receptacle into which you can pour your wisdom. If you go on and on, taken with your genius, it’s unjust to them. Listen to the mentee before expressing your viewpoint. Ask them to explain their viewpoint. They bring perspectives and insights that you might not be aware of.
6. Let them decide for themselves
In general, the mentors of mentoring platforms have more skills and expertise than the mentee. However, it would prevent people from analyzing problems and finding solutions. Additionally, it would prevent children from learning via mistakes.
7. Be responsible to one another.
An effective mentoring relationship is built on trust and responsibility. If you pledge to investigate a problem or give the mentee a resource, follow through on your commitment. In the same vein, anticipate them to fulfill their promises to you. Assign homework and include penalties for failure to complete it. But if you don’t follow through on your promises, let them express their disappointment.
8. Shut Doors
Introduce the protégé to the relevant individuals in your network if they demonstrate a true commitment to learning and development. Internally, that can comprise experts or senior personnel. Professionals from outside organizations like associations, suppliers, or other businesses may be involved. Your mentee would gain from the contacts you have.
9. Verify Your Impulses And Biases
Ideally, you’ll get along reasonably well with your mentee. Before you do, keep preconceptions from distorting your perceptions. Like you, that person might not be who they seem to be on the outside. Last but not least, respect the boundaries of your working relationship. Mentors of mentoring platforms frequently hold positions of influence. If you act inappropriately, you may lose your job and face legal action for sexual harassment. Everyone will benefit if mentoring is treated as a professional obligation.
Why Choose AskMe as your Mentoring Platform?
- Direct access to a concentrated group of remarkable, highly sought-after mentors, including bestselling authors, entrepreneurs, keynote speakers, professionals of the highest caliber, and specialists.
- Having access to thousands of Experts / Mentors from our global database of experts, and being able to search for, find, and directly communicate with any of them on a single platform.
- The AskMe mentoring platform also has a rating element, allowing users and mentees to choose based on the reviews and ratings of other mentees.
- It is simpler and more convenient for mentors and mentees as we provide reasonably priced 20-minute bitesize sessions with transparent and indicated charges.
- AskMe includes built-in video and audio calling, availability, scheduling, booking calendars, and sending and receiving secure payments in one location.
- There are no upfront subscription or onboarding fees for mentors and mentees. There are no unstated costs. Only the services that mentees book and use require payment.
- With less than a 15% platform fee, mentors will receive payments for every session they lead.
Being a mentor is fundamentally about being a reliable advisor. It all comes down to being accessible to offer assistance and counsel whenever necessary, doing so in a manner that makes sense to the person receiving it, and always keeping their best interests in mind!